His Dream Was a Dynasty. Mine Was a Tiny House
Today I had lunch with my high school friend—the only person from high school whom I have stayed in touch with all these years.
Our lives could not be more different.
Back in high school, he already had a driver and a car. I rode a bicycle that belonged to my brother and sister. His path seemed arranged from the very beginning: study hard, go abroad, obtain another nationality, marry someone from a similar wealthy family, and eventually start a business.
My path was completely different. I had to work hard, study hard, and fight for every opportunity. After high school, I did not simply get to leave the country. I had to earn my way out. I worked for scholarships and eventually won one to pursue my master’s degree at HKU.
Today, he told me that he wants to build a legacy—to create generations of wealth for his family.
I listened to him and thought about my own dream.
Mine is much smaller.
I dream of having a tiny house, with a few dogs and cats, a peaceful life, and enough freedom to wake up without constantly worrying about money or other people’s expectations.
At lunch, I noticed his gold Rolex. I suddenly realized that the watch on his wrist was worth more than my tiny condominium.
He kept telling me that I need to be more ambitious. That I should aim to become rich. That I should get married and have children.
Perhaps he meant well.
And the strange thing is—I have dreamed of those things too.
I have dreamed of love. I have dreamed of a family. I have dreamed of someone choosing me and building a life with me.
I even flew across countries to meet people I had a crush on, hoping that maybe something would happen.
But they weren’t interested in me.
So what can I do?
Maybe I need to stop measuring my life against someone whose starting point, circumstances, personality and dreams are completely different from mine.
His dream is to build a dynasty.
Mine is to build a home.
Neither dream is necessarily better.
On the way back to my office, he insisted on dropping me off in his brand-new Audi, with his driver behind the wheel. I was almost embarrassed because I wasn’t even sure how to open the car door.
I laughed to myself.
Life is funny.
For a few minutes, I was sitting inside a world that looked completely different from mine—Rolex, Audi, driver, wealth, legacy.
And then I stepped out and went back to my office.
Back to my life.
And honestly, I realized something.
I am not lonely.
I have friends. I travel. I work. I laugh. I explore. I have built a career that once seemed impossible. I have crossed borders, chased dreams, taken risks, fallen for people, been rejected, picked myself up, and continued moving.
Maybe my life doesn’t look as impressive from the outside.
But it is mine.
I am still driving toward my own dream.
Maybe my dream isn’t a generation of wealth.
Maybe it is a tiny house filled with animals, a peaceful heart, financial freedom, meaningful work, good friends, and someone who genuinely wants to come home to me.
And if love and family happen along the way, I will welcome them.
If they don’t, I will still have a life worth living.
Life.
We are not all driving toward the same destination.
Some people are building empires.
Some of us are simply trying to build a beautiful little home.
And tonight, I think I’m okay with that.
Comments